Giveaways are a great way to attract new people to your YouTube channels. Product companies love giveaways because it creates a buzz around a particular product that viewers of that channel may not have known about before hand. It’s kind of a win-win situation for game publishers and content creators alike, but doing them over a third-party site like YouTube can be a big hassle.
Qualifying actions for giveaways can vary, but most usually include either a tweet with a specific message or a comment on the YouTube video. In this article, I’ll go over a set of tools that can help you facilitate the latter. You can run a successful giveaway for 50 or 50,000 people on YouTube without having to purchase any expansive software or go through, copy, and paste every name that comes up.
The first tool in this list is offered by Insanely Great Mac which is a tech news and review site run by Mike Flaminio and Brian Maxwell. The tool, called YouTube Comment Scraper, works by taking your video’s comments URL and grabbing all the usernames that appear in the list. If you have multiple pages worth of comments (for giveaways with over 500 qualifying applicants) you can submit multiple URLs to the scraper one-by-one to compile a very long list made ready for submission to Random.org.
If you have a single page worth of comments, your list should be free of duplicates without any further action required on your part. You can take this list, copy it, and paste it to Random.org’s List Randomizer. This tool will take your list of qualifying users and rearrange the list to a random order. The top one or more people in that list would become your prize winners.
Let’s say you had more than 500 people qualify for the giveaway. Here’s what you can do:
- Navigate to the YouTube video page.
- Click See All over the comment box under your video.
- Copy the URL and paste it to the YouTube Comment Scraper.
- Click Submit.
- Copy and paste the resulting list into Notepad or another non-formatting text editor.
- Go back to your comment page and click the number 2 at the bottom of the page.
- Copy and paste the resulting URL to the YouTube Comment Scraper and repeat previous steps until all comments are accounted for.
- Copy the entire list from Notepad and paste it into the Duplicate Entry Scrubber (also provided by Insanely Great Mac).
- Hit Submit.
- Copy and paste the resulting list to Random.org’s List Randomizer.
- Give stuff away.
This is actually a very simple process that shouldn’t take you more than a few minutes to complete. It’s a lot easier than copying and pasting names one-by-one and checking for duplicates yourself, and should provide a fair and completely random selection for your giveaway.
And The Winner Is! by Bobbi Jones Jones